CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 1, 2009

March Madness Indeed!

There is something incredibly humbling in realizing that you sometimes treat God the same way that your children sometimes treat you! I am often reminded that I have ignored God’s instruction and commands the way my children ignore mine. I am faced with the task of training my children to follow God’s instruction and I often fail to do the same in my own life.

How am I to do this?

“Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

Paul exhorts us in Ephesians 5.1-2 as dearly loved children! Wow! I know that most of us have been told that “we are God’s children” but how many of us actually consider ourselves his children? Furthermore, how many of us consider ourselves as dearly loved?

Dictionary.com defines dear as: beloved or loved; precious in one's regard; cherished; heartfelt; earnest; high-priced; expensive; an affectionate or familiar term of address; fondness; a beloved one! You are precious in God’s regard! Not only that, but he considers you to be high-priced! You are worth a great deal to him. Let that fact sink over you for a moment.

It’s been said that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I would say it’s the ultimate response we can give to God for his love toward us. He loves us and we should reciprocate by loving others (including our children), in the same manner.

As I think about these things, I am reminded of how God’s forgiveness continues to wash over me and how I must continue to extend that same forgiveness to my children when they just seem to not “get it”. They are learning, as am I, to follow closely the One who “gave himself up for [me] as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

How can I not imitate that love for my own children? Even when I am ready to pull my hair out from the insanity and frustration!

Put your name in the blank and remember it as often as your children disobey:

Be an imitator of God’s love, _____________, because you are a dearly cherished and valued daughter of the king!

0 comments: